Carrot halwa is a north Indian treat. It is very famous and available at all Indian restaurants. As you know Carrots are good for you, this sweet dish you will definitely love it. If You want to make it a low calorie dessert sugar can be substituted for splenda or reduce sugar to 1/2 cup. Carrots are naturally sweet in nature so reducing sugar will still make it tasty.
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
2 lb grated carrot
3 cups of 2% reduced fat milk
3 tsp ghee or clarified butter(see post for ghee)
few silvered almonds and pistachios
1 tsp ground cardamom powder
1 cup dry carnation powder or ready made khoya or mava
1 cup sugar
1. Wash and grate the carrots. Set aside.
2. In a heavy sauce pan, add 3 tbsp of ghee on a medium heat.
3. Add the shredded carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes.
4. Add milk, sugar boil for 15 minutes on high heat stirring continuously so it does not stick at the bottom of pan.
5. Add dry carnation powder/ mava/ khoya as needed.
6. Mix it well and transfer contents in glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
7. Microwave the halwa in microwave for 2-3 minutes.
8. Mix all the contents and microwave for another 2-3 minutes.
9. You shall notice that milk is absorbed and carrots are cooked.
10. Garnish with pistachios and almonds
Tips: Mava is available in Indian groceries stores. You may substituted for Mava with evaporated milk.