|Five Lentil Dal|
This is a mixture of all dals/lentils. You may use any five you like.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Recipe Type: Jain, Vegan, High Protein. Gluten Free
|1/4||Cup||Split Green Mung Dal|
|1/4||Cup||Tuvar Dal or Split Pigeon Peas|
|1/4||Cup||Urad Dal or Split Matepa Beans|
|1/4||Cup||Split Masur Dal, red in color|
|2||TBsp||Clear Butter or Oil (for Vegan)|
|4-6||Cups||Water or as needed|
|Salt to taste|
|2||TBsp||Coriander & Cumin Powder|
|1||Small||Ginger, shredded or Paste|
|1||Small||Green Chili, chopped|
- Mix all of the Dals.
- Rinse all of the dals thoroughly 3-4 times.
- Soak for at least one hour.
- If you cook with a pressure cooker, time it for two whistles otherwise bring to a boil and let it cook for ten minutes until dals are tender and cooked.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a separate pan. Add Cinnamon stick, cloves and cumin seeds.
- Let it sizzle it for few seconds. Add onion, garlic, spices and then tomatoes.
- Add all of the spices, add boiled dal.
- Add lemon juice and let it simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently so it does not stick to the bottom on very low heat. (This dal has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pan)
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Less water is needed if a pressure cooker is used.
- Use 1 cup of lentils for every 2 cups of water.
- If you add water, make sure it is hot water.
- This dal is very famous in state of Gujarat, India.
- Easy and tasty preparation for wholesome Protein.