Misti Sandesh is a dish made with milk and sugar (I know, I know, I had you at sugar!). It’s popular all over India and used as a celebratory dessert. But it’s not limited to parties and feasts. It’s perfect for anytime you want something sweet without too much effort. The pistachio and spice sprinkled on top add more complex flavors to the rich sweetness of the paneer.
This paneer dish is packed with a punch of protein.
Along with satisfying sweet tooth it is loaded with protein and high in antioxidants. One of the great benefit of paneer is that it is rich in calcium, minerals and linoleic acid, which can lower your risk of heart disease. So Enjoy without feeling guilty!
It’s a light dish that melts in your mouth, and has been beloved for millennia. It appears in some parts of medieval Bengali literature, meaning it’s delicious enough to stand the test of time.
Misti Sandesh is a wonderful trick
when you want something sweet and you want to be quick!
It’s a light little snack that makes people say, “yum.”
And none will be left – not even a crumb!
Misti Sandesh Recipe
Prep time : 30 minutes
Serves : 6
- 8 cups of milk
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice or 1 tsp. of white vinegar
- 3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. pistachio saffron and cardamom powder to sprinkle
1. Bring milk to boil (use a heavy saucepan so that milk doesn’t stick to the bottom).
2. Stir continuously.
3. Once the milk is boiling, add lemon juice or vinegar; the milk will begin to curdle.
4. Line a strainer with a cheesecloth and drain the milk.
5. Rinse with water to wash away the sourness of the lemon juice.
6. Knead the dough softly and firmly.
7. Add powdered sugar and knead the dough into a smooth ball.
8. If desired, you may knead the dough into small balls and garnish with pistachios.
9. Alternatively, you may line a pan with wax paper and flatten the dough inside; then sprinkle on nuts to garnish and cut into bite-size pieces.
10. Refrigerate for around two hours.
11. Take out and enjoy!
Misti Sandesh is best eaten fresh, within a few days of preparing. Don’t worry: that won’t be a problem!