In 1976 when I came to America, I always remembered food from back home. One item was spicy Handvo. There wasn’t a local Indian Grocery Store, so I created this version which has the same taste I crave. Currently, handvo mix is readily available at Indian grocers. I have included a Gluten Free Version below.
Cooking Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 30 + 5 minutes
Ingredients (Not Gluten Free):
Fried Topping Ingredients:
How to Prepare:
- Mix yogurt and water.
- Microwave for 2 minutes or until luke warm.
- Mix with rice flour, corn flour and besan.
- Leave it overnight in a closed container to ferment.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix it well and leave for a hour.
- Pour in a 9x 12 inch baking dish (not glass).
- Add Fried Topping (instructions below).
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Insert butter knife to check if it is done. If the batter does not stick to knife it is done.
Broil for 5 to 7 minutes to make it crispy and brown.
Cool for 15 minutes
Cut into equal squares.
Serve with chutneys and sweet and sour mango pickle called ”Chundo.”
- In a small frying pan, pour 2 TBsp of oil on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and sesame seeds.
- Seeds will start popping.
- Sdd astofedia quickly.
- Pour on top of batter.
Gluten Free Recipe
Ingredients (slightly different):
|1/4||Cup||Split Chickpea Dal – Channa Dal|
|1||Cup||Peas & Frozen Corn|
|1||Cup||Shredded Snake Gourd or Dhoodi/Loki|
|1||Cup||Thawed Fengurecreek Leaves|
|Salt to Taste|
|1||Tsp||Coriander & Cumin Powder|
In a coffee mill add the ground rice and all the three dals. Follow all of the steps listed above in the first recipe. The Gluten Free recipe stays fresh for 4 to 5 days. It is easy to carry for picnic or traveling.