One of the most popular achars (pickles) is a lemon pickle.
I have seen my mom make various achars/pickles and enjoyed them when I was young. Recently I learned that lemons are highly alkaline and good for digestion. So my taste buds prompted me to try this tantalizing recipe for myself. The traditional flavor is back in a new form!
To make it healthier, I’ve reduced the salt, sugar, and oil . I am sure you will love it too.
- 5 lemon cut into cubes
- 5 lemon squeezed into juice
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin & fenugreek seeds (roasted and crushed)
- 1 tsp sugar (or more to taste)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of astofedia
How to make:
1. Cut the lemons into cubes. Set aside.
2. Store lemon cubes. Add salt and turmeric. Shake it properly so it is coated with salt evenly.
3. Store and stir evenly so lemon pieces starts to get soften and tender to touch. Repeat this step for fifteen days.
4. Take lemon pieces out in a bowl , add spices, add sugar, and temper with oil. Mix them properly and store in a clean air tight container.
Lemon pickle is ready to serve with your meals. Great news about lemon pickle is that as it ages it is more tasty. Enjoy!