|Methi & Aloo Subji
One of my favorite vegetable dishes is Aloo & Methi which means Potato with Fenugreek Leaves. The leaves are grown from fenugreek seeds and are a little bitter in taste but very healthy for you. They are full of antioxidants and rich in minerals. I like to prepare this dish because it is very easy, tasty and good for your health. It is also very quick and fun to eat with Paratha, an Indian leaven bread or roti.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Recipe Type: Vegan, Antioxidant, Gluten Free
|Fresh Methi Leaves
||Potatoes, peeled and cubed = almost 2 cups
||(Keep cubed potatoes immersed in water until ready to cook.)
||Methi leaves, washed and plucked = almost 2 cups
||(Methi leaves are available frozen in Indian stores.)
||Chilli powder (more or less according to taste)
||Coriander & Cumin Powder
- In a skillet, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add fenugreek leaves and drained potatoes. They will start to sizzle.
- With a spatula, stir methi & potatoes.
- Add all the spices.
- Stir again and cover with the lid.
- Lower the heat.
- After a few minutes, you will see that the potatoes are cooked. Check by cutting into pieces: if it is easily to do, it is ready.
- Add tomatoes and stir.
- Serve with chapatis or ready made whole wheat tortillas.When you serve whole wheat tortillas, warm them on a grill on medium heat. Apply butter and serve warm. It is also great when served with warm roti. Check website or video for Roti Recipe.
Nutrition Facts per Serving
Let me know what you think by leaving a comment!
I love to hear from my readers!
Join my Newsletter here & be entered to win
“The Indian Slow Cooker”
Health Benefits of Fenugreek Leaves
Home Remedy for Balancing Cholesterol
Studies have found people who took 2 ounces (56g) of fenugreek seed each day had significantly (around 14 percent) lower cholesterol levels after 24 weeks, and had lowered their risk of heart attack by more than 25 percent. Therefore, a recommended remedy for lowering cholesterol is to take 2 ounces of seeds throughout the day. The seeds can be sprinkled onto prepared food, or they can be consumed with water if they are in capsule form.
Treating Diabetes and Lowering Blood Sugar Levels
Studies have shown that participants with type 2 diabetes had significantly lower blood sugar levels after eating fenugreek. Therefore, a recommended home remedy for treating Type 2 diabetes is to consume 500mg of fenugreek twice daily.
Herbal Cure for Skin Inflammation
Research has shown that Fenugreek is an effective topical treatment for skin problems such as abscesses, boils, burns, eczema, and gout. Therefore, a simple skin inflammation remedy is the following:
- Take a spoonful of fenugreek and grind it into a powder.
- Mix the ground powder with warm water.
- Take a simple piece of clean cloth and soak it into the mixture.
- Apply the soaked cloth directly onto the affected skin as a poultice.
Natural Cure for Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Fenugreek seeds contain a lot of mucilage, which helps sooth gastrointestinal inflammation by coating the lining of the stomach and intestine. Therefore, for an effective remedy against heartburn or Acid Reflux, simply sprinkle 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds onto your food. Another option is to take one teaspoon of seeds and swallow them with water or juice before any meal.
Home Remedy for Fever
The Fenugreek herb has been known to help reduce fever when taken with lemon and honey, since it nourishes the body during an illness. Therefore, to treat a fever, simply consume one to two teaspoons of Fenugreek seeds three times a day along with an herbal tea (such as green tea) with a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice. Some health food stores also sell herbal Fenugreek teas, which can be used instead of the green tea.