|Pani Puri with Potatoes, Mung Beans, Chickpeas and Date Sauce
I grew up in India. The thing I miss most are the tasty bites of food from the street vendors which are famously called “chaat.” Here, I’ve had the chance to eat seven course meals many times. I’ve been to fancy Italian Restaurants and have savored the food of many different ethnicities. But still today my taste for chaat remains the same. I have inherited this from my mother and I think I will pass it on to my daughter, too.
Cooking Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
Cooking Level: Easy
Recipe Type: Vegan
How to Prepare:
- Boil two potatoes and mash them.
- Season with salt, pepper, red chili and cilantro. Set aside.
- One cup of mung bean sprouts that has been boiled with salt.
- One cup red chickpeas boiled with salt. (optional)
- Pani means “water with spices” which is the main taste. To make pani for pani puri: blend fresh mint with green chili, ginger paste, sugar, lemon juice, black salt, 2 tsp of grounded powder of cumin seeds and regular table salt. Set aside. Refrigerate for couple of hours.
- Microwave puris for 30-40 seconds.
- Crack open puris and fill with mung beans, potatoes and red chickpeas.
- Dip stuffed puris into water and eat it right away otherwise it will get soggy.
- Yum! Delicious!
|Pani Puri or Gol Gappa
Chaat is a Hindi word for delicacy or possibly pakrit for devouring with relish whatever it is it is always fun to eat with friends.