Mouth-watering pickles are popular all over India. In fact, a meal is not a meal without “achar” which means “pickle.”
Pickles are the comfort food of rich and poor alike. You can easily find many different varieties all over America and around the world. Sweet pickle has a mild flavor with a tangy taste and have their own place within a meal. Spicy, salty, tart and tangy are also very common flavors. I just love the taste of khatta achar which means “sour pickle,” and raw mango pickle is an example of this type of pickle.
Below, I share a quick recipe for Aam Ka Achar which means Mango Pickle.
Health Benefits of Mango Pickle
Did you know that mangoes are packed with flavor and health benefits? The American Heart Association has called mango the “luscious superhero of fruit.” That’s because the fruit’s high fiber, folate, and Vitamin A content can help prevent heart disease and colon cancer. Being rich in potassium is another way mangoes help prevent heart disease.
Not only that, mangoes also have lower acidity than many fruits, so if you suffer from acid reflux, this is the fruit for you!
Other health benefits include improving concentration and memory, strengthening the immune system (they’re packed with Vitamin C!), and decreasing the risk of anemia since they are high in iron.
Let me know what you think by leaving a comment!
I love to hear from my readers!
Raw Mango Pickle
1 small raw or green mango
1 tsp Achar Masala (pickle) to taste
1 tsp mustard oil or vegetable oil
- Wash and dry the mango and cut it into cubes. Small cubes will work better.
- In a jar place all the cut mango pieces. Add achar masala and mix together. With a spoon, squeeze all of the pieces down into the jar so there is no air.
- Now pour in 2 tbsp of mustard oil so it covers the pieces. Stir it twice daily, once in the morning and once at night.
- Leave it outside for two days. Then refrigerate in an airtight container. The pickle should last at least for few weeks.
- Easy to make and my favorite with khicahdi!
- Achar masla is made of fenugreek seed powder, salt, red chili powder and oil. It should also be available at Indian grocery stores near you.
- Oil and masala can be added according to taste.