Zat Pat Aloo is a recipe by my friend Padma Reddy. I enjoyed watching her make it. I am sure you will like it.
Tasty Potato Subji
Aloo aka means potato subji is very popular all over India.
The basic recipe is the same with some minor variations. In the Gujarati language, its called Batata nu shaak
Potato subji is always a favourite among children and adults alike. It goes with Khichdi, rice dishes and different kinds of rotis as well.
- 1 lb potatoes
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 Tsp each ground coriander and cumin powder each
- 1 Tsp ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp Yogurt optional
- 1 Tsp Garam masala
- 2 Tbsp fresh finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
How to Prepare
1. Peel potatoes and immerse them into the water so it does not tarnish.
2. Cut onion as you wish into pieces.
3. Cut potatoes into cubes.
4. In a wok on a medium high heat add oil of your choice. Add onions and potatoes and saute them till golden brown. It can take 5-7 minutes to to saute’ them.
5. Add Ginger paste and salt. Mix with spatula very well. Cover and let it cook in steam for few minutes till potatoes are little soft and tender.
6. Add red pepper, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder and tomatoes and mix it well. Add 1 cup of water. Cover and let it cook more.
7. Add yogurt, garam masala and few cilantro leaves. Stir, Cover.
8. Potato subji is ready for you. Enjoy it with warm tortillas or rice, its equally palatable.
Serve potatoes warm.
Yogurt and garam masala goes together. If you like mild flavor omit garam masala.
For vegan I highly recommend not to add yogurt. This potatoes dish is flavorful at any time .
Does your dish look this colorful? Let me know in your comments!
How did you make this dish? I would love to hear your recipes and happy to post it on my blog.