Chana dal is also known as Bengal gram dal. Dals are the staples in Indian meals. It is very inexpensive and easy to cook once you get the hands on.
Dals are an easy way of infusing proteins, fibre and body-building nutrients in vegetarian/vegan diets.
Cooking time 40 minutes Easy Vegan Gluten Free Serves 6
- 1 cup split chickpea/chana dal
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 pc dried red chilies/cayenne
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oil/ghee optional
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- How to prepare:
1. Place the split chickpea in medium size sauce pan. Wash them thoroughly 3 or 4 times till water runs clear. Add 4 cup water to the pan and let it boil over medium high heat. Scoop out and discard any foam as the peas come to a boil.
2. Let the dal cook for 20 minutes till it is tender to touch. Add salt.
3. Heat a skillet over a medium high heat. Add oil to the skillet. Add red chilies, coriander and cumin. Toast the spices shaking the skillet every few seconds, until the chilies are blacken and smell smoky hot and the seeds turn reddish brown and smell incredibly aromatic for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Transfer the spice mixture to a blender add tomato. Make it a puree to a smooth brown paste
5. Add the tomato and spice mixture to the cooked peas. Increase the heat to medium high heat and let dal boil vigorously uncovered, stirring occasionally until the smoky flavors mingle and sauce thickens . It can take up to 10 minutes or more.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with roti or rice it equally taste good.
Split chick peas can be cooked in different ways. Some of the varieties include split chick pea with coconut chutney , Healthy vegan puda/pancakes , Khandvi dahiwadi chick pea flour rolls to name a few.
The yellow split peas that are available here is different from the ones in India. The ones in India are from a variety of garbanzo beans that have a dark brown skin. When a skin is removed and the grain split in half is called split chickpea chana dal.
I usually try to soak before cooking at least for an hour or two. So it speeds up the process while cooking.
It is Yummm and honestly healthy!